Tuesday, June 8

Last Two Weeks

The last two weeks of my time in Ireland have been the best and worst. Although I grew so much closer to my new friends, I also know that it will be months before I see them again in the Spring. As for my Irish friends that I'm leaving behind, I will be lucky if I ever see them again at all. True to Irish culture and tradition, we ended the semester with crazy parties and fun memories. One thing's for sure: me and the other SMC chicks will be keeping up Irish tradition once we get back together in the Fall ;)

I'll never forget the people I met and things I did. From my very first SMC trip up until Galway, I had a great time traveling Europe and the Irish countryside. Dublin remains my favorite city in the world and I cannot wait until I go back (and I will be going back, believe you me!). The only regrets I have are not meeting my great friends sooner in the semester. But honestly, how could I have planned that out!? The wonderful thing is that our paths eventually crossed and we shared some incredible times in Ireland (and Paris!). I wish I could write down all the amazing times I had, but that would take far far too long.

How have I changed during my time in Ireland? Well... That's a long story. I definitely think Ireland has considerably opened my mind. Yes, it is okay to drive on the other side of the road! Haha but in all seriousness, I no longer feel so attached to my "American-ness". The rest of the world has it goin on as well, ye know. I've realized that religious, political, national, and so many other barriers are pointless and only hinder people from loving people. I'm friends with Atheists and Catholics, Libertarians and Liberals, Turks and Russians -- and very happy with all of them =)

I've also discovered a lot of freedom while I've been away. I now know how it feels to be an adult -- living on my own, cooking on my own, managing money on my own, and being completely responsible for myself and my safety. It feels good. I'm a grown woman now. I went to Ireland a teenager and came back an adult.

I'm going to miss my home in Maynooth. Not only because it's a cute little cobblestone town and there's no persecution for your beliefs, but because of the people that changed my life and my way of thinking. I'd like to thank my closest Irish friend, Eoin =) and yeah, Simon as well! And my SMC chicks, Colleen and Alayne -- and Katt! (you're an honorary SMC chick) And the crazy, crazy boys of Hurley 3.

Thank you so much for making me a better person. I'll never forget you and how you made me who I am =)



Goodbye, Maynooth. I'll see you again soon, probably even more changed than when I left you last.
Goin out with a bang ;)
--Hardcore

No comments:

Post a Comment