Tuesday, June 8

Galway!!

So I went to Galway a little while ago! If you don't know what or where Galway is, it's only the very best city in Ireland!! Or, well... Okay, I definitely think Dublin is the best, but Galway is MOST Irish. It looks just like Diagon Alley from Harry Potter! The city center is just a cute little road that's all cobblestone and the buildings are all tradition Irish-looking. I went to this amazing little town with Katt, whom I've become great friends with in Ireland =) We took a 3 hour bus ride from Maynooth straight to Galway and got off in the town square. After approaching strangers and placing a call back to my Irish friends in Maynooth, we eventually found our hostel, which was located RIGHT on the main road!!

That night we explored the little town and found this adorable cafe down a random alley, called the Cobblestone Cafe (SOMEDAY I WILL OWN A BAKERY EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE!!!!) and ate some traditional Irish bread and butter pudding. It was delicious! Then we walked around a bit until we found a cute Italian restaurant on the main road. I got a glass of wine and enjoyed the live music with my pizza dinner =)

Afterwards, Katt and I explored the town, visiting the Spanish Arch, the riverbank, and the Claddagh. Funny story here. Our map showed a dot that said "The Claddagh". So we wandered over in that direction and walked around for bit, not finding anything. Eventually I walked up to a little boy and asked where the Claddagh is. His response? You're in the Claddagh. You've been in the Claddagh for probably the last ten minutes. Haha so its just this big hunk of land along the river! But it was nice getting lost in Galway.

The next morning, we woke up super early to catch the bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher. We had a very interesting and slightly silly tour guide -- he made the day that much more enjoyable. On the way to the cliffs, we stopped by a castle (go figure, in Ireland), a tree fairy (as I took the picture the tour guide snuck up behind me and scared me in front of the whole group then blamed it on the leprechauns haha), and a tomb in the Burren Mountains. We grabbed dinner in Doolin, a cute little traditional Irish town where I had my first Irish stew (DELICIOUS) in a pub. Finally, we made it to the Cliffs!! And wow, they did not disappoint. First of all, this weekend had UNBELIEVABLY nice weather -- clear skies with a few puffy clouds and 80 degree temps. Katt and I took some crazy awesome pictures and maybe got a little too close to the edge ;) but hey, it was worth it!!

Afterwards, we took the coast route back to Galway, which was breathtaking. We stopped by these mini cliffs, which were almost better than the Cliffs of Moher!! Once we got back into town, Katt and I ate at an Irish pub then headed out to see the nightlife. We had a pint (well I did, she had a Cosmo, yum!) at the King's Head and got creeped on by a local. Once we escaped, we stumbled upon an American pub! It was there that I rode on my first ever mechanical bull. And yes, it was epic.

The next day we walked to Salthill and enjoyed the sunny weather on the beach. I found some sea shells to add to my collection from Florida (both sides of the Altlantic woot!) and we watched a dog play in the tide. When we got back, we got lunch at Quay's, where I tried oysters for the first (and last) time! It was fun trying something new, but sorry, not for me!! Then we went to the Claddagh ring store and we each bought an authentic Irish Claddagh ring =) Then we shopped around a bit for souvenirs and whatnot, discovering the town. I mailed my postcards to Simon and Eoin (who don't even appreciate my amazing handwriting!!!!) and got a banana ice cream cone! Then we got dinner at McDonagh's and upon Eoin's recommendation I tried the Seafood Chowder. Good work, Eoin.

Then we sat on the riverbank and watched some Irish boys play soccer as swans swam on by. It was a relaxing evening watching the sunset. Unfortunately, our trip ended there and we had to catch the bus back home to Maynooth. It was an absolutely amazing weekend and I didn't want to leave!!! I will most definitely be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment